Photo Credit: monkeybusinessimages / istockphoto.com
2. Stretching Exercises
Stretching exercises help lengthen your muscles, prepare your arms and legs for exercise, and improve your range of motion and flexibility. They are also essential to prevent injuries from other types of exercise.
Some simple stretches to try include:
- Back – Clasp your hands together and reach your arms forward, while arching your back – this exercise will help stretch your back.
- Chest – Clasp your hands together behind your back. Pull your shoulders back and your elbows together.
- Arms – Put your left hand on your left shoulder and lift the elbow upwards; repeat the same technique with the right arm.
- Quadriceps – Sit at the edge of a bench or chair. Bend the left leg underneath the seat and rest your toes on the floor. Hold this position for a few seconds, then repeat with the right leg.
- Hamstrings – Sit on the edge of a chair or bench with left leg bent and the right leg completely straight in from of you. Point your toes to the floor. While keeping the hands on the bent knee, sit up straight, bend at the waist and push your chest forward. Swap legs and repeat.
Yoga and tai chi also include stretching exercises along with breathing techniques. Not only do these practices improve your fitness level, your emotional wellbeing will benefit as well. Learn the proper techniques from a qualified practitioner first, and then you could use DVDs at in the comfort of your home.